AMG’s Board of Directors bring a diverse set of talents, impressive expertise, and a high standard of excellence to their leadership role. They encourage the AMG team to constantly push further to deliver great client experiences and help each client achieve success.
Co-Founder & Chairman of the Board
Earl Wright co-founded AMG with Dr. Michael Bergmann over forty years ago and currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Earl has been honored as a “Master in Profession” from his undergraduate alma mater, the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, and served as an academic advisor in the development of the Masters in Finance program at the University of Denver.
Earl has a long history of community leadership in Colorado and across the country, including:
- University of Colorado Boulder, Member of Strategic Advisory Committee, CU Global Ambassadors, and Selection Committee for CU Visiting Chair on Conservative Thought & Policy
- University of Nebraska Foundation, Board Member
- Common Sense Policy Roundtable, Co-Founder and Chairman of the Board
- Zenon C.R. Hansen Foundation, Board Secretary & Treasurer
- Rotary Club of Denver, Member and Recipient of 2010 Exceptional Community Service Award
- Taiga Biotechnologies, Board Member
- Doane University Board of Trustees, Past Board Member (23 years)
- University of Colorado Boulder Graduate School Advisory Board, Past Chairman
- University of Colorado Foundation, Past Board Member, Trustee and Chairman of Investment Policy Committee
- Boy Scouts of America – Denver Area Council, Past Chairman Emeritus
- Junior Achievement – Columbus, Past Board Treasurer
- Nichols Institute (now Quest Diagnostics), Past Board Member
- SuperFoods, Past Board Member
Earl received his MBA degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and his undergraduate degree from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.
Michael Bergmann, PhD
Co-Founder & Senior Executive Vice President
Dr. Michael Bergmann co-founded AMG with Earl Wright over forty years ago and currently serves as Senior Executive Vice President and Director of AMG National Trust Bank. In this role, Michael leads the firm’s economic and investment research efforts and is Chairman of AMG’s Investment Committee.
Over his career, Michael developed many specific-purpose financial models, methods, and techniques as well as authored numerous economic articles that contributed to the advancement of financial risk control through asset allocation.
- “Method of Ascertaining an Efficient Frontier for Tax-Sensitive Investors,” (US Patent 7461021B2, 2008)
- “Multi-index Shrinkage Estimation: Theory and Empirical Tests,” Journal of Wealth Management, 2005
- “Estimating Asset Class Standard Deviations and Correlations,” Journal of Wealth Management, 2003
Michael received his PhD in Business Economics and his Master’s degree in Statistics from Stanford University and his undergraduate degree magna cum laude from the University of Minnesota.
CEO & President
Sheryl Bollinger is CEO, President, and General Counsel of AMG National Trust Bank. In this role, Sheryl is responsible for setting the strategic direction of the firm and ensuring all operational units are working together for AMG’s diverse client base. She joined the AMG Board of Directors in 2005.
Prior to joining AMG in 1996, Sheryl specialized in securities, contract, and corporate law in Denver at Holland & Hart, one of the largest law firms in the Mountain West. Before practicing law, she was a Certified Public Accountant with Arthur Andersen & Co. in Portland, Oregon, and Treasurer and Corporate Secretary of Medford Corporation, an international publicly-traded forest products company.
Sheryl is active in community and industry organizations in the Denver area, including:
- American, Colorado and Arapahoe County Bar Associations, Member
- Colorado Bankers Association, Board Member
- Junior Achievement – Rocky Mountain Region, Board Member
- American Red Cross – Mile High Chapter, former Board Member
Sheryl received her law degree from Stanford Law School and her undergraduate degree in Business Administration from the University of Montana.
President of AMG’s Commercial Banking Division
Thomas Chesney is President of AMG’s Commercial Banking Division. He joined AMG in 2005 after serving in several prominent bank leadership roles, including founding a community bank and serving as its CEO and President. He joined the AMG Board in 2007.
Tom is very active in both industry and community organizations in the Denver and Boulder areas, including:
- Independent Community Bankers of America, Federal Delegate Board Member and Consumer Financial Services Committee Member
- Independent Bankers of Colorado, Past President
- Independent Bankers of Colorado Education Foundation, Board Member
- Leeds School of Business at the University of Colorado Boulder, Advisory Director for Deming Center for Entrepreneurship
- Center for ReSource Conservation (now Resource Central), Past Board Chairman
- American Council for the Blind of Colorado, Past Board Member
Tom received his MBA degree from the University of Northern Colorado and his undergraduate degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Board Member & Audit Committee Member
Ambassador Christopher Hill joined the AMG Board of Directors in 2011 and brings a truly global perspective to AMG’s leadership team.
He is currently the Chief Global Advisor and Professor of the Practice in Diplomacy at the University of Denver. Prior to this role, he was the Dean of the Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University.
Over his long career as professional diplomat, Ambassador Hill’s service included four ambassador nominations by three different presidents and many important foreign service appointments, including:
- Ambassador to Iraq (2009-2010)
- Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs (2005-2009)
- Head of the U.S. Delegation to the Six Party Talks on the North Korean Nuclear Issue (2005-2009)
- Ambassador to the Republic of Korea (2004-2005)
- Ambassador to Poland (2000-2004)
- Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director on the Staff of the National Security Council (1999-2000)
- Special Envoy to Kosovo (1998-1999)
- Ambassador the Republic of Macedonia (1996-1999)
Earlier in his Foreign Service career, Ambassador Hill served tours in Belgrade, Warsaw, Seoul, and Tirana, and on the State Department’s Policy Planning Staff and in the Department’s Operation Center.
Ambassador Hill received the State Department’s Distinguished Service Award for his contributions as a member of the U.S. negotiating team in the Bosnia Peace Settlement, and was a recipient of the Robert S. Frasure Award for Peace Negotiations for his work on the Kosovo Crisis.
Prior to joining the Foreign Service, Ambassador Hill served as a Peace Corps volunteer where he supervised credit unions in rural Cameroon, West Africa.
Ambassador Hill received his graduate degree from the Naval War College and his undergraduate degree in economics from Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. He speaks Polish, Serbo-Croatian, and Macedonian.
J. Wayne Hutchens
Board Member & Audit Committee Member
Wayne Hutchens was named to the AMG Board of Directors in 2012 and brings to this role decades of leadership experience in the banking industry, including serving as Chairman of Chase Bank Colorado. Wayne also served as President and CEO of the University of Colorado Foundation and Executive Director of the CU Real Estate Foundation.
Throughout his career, Wayne has been active in his community in the following roles:
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Trustee
- Colorado Children’s Hospital, Director
- Colorado Mountain Club & American Alpine Club, Member
- Colorado Council for Economic Education, Past Board Member
- Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce, Past Board Member
- Samaritan Institute, Past Board Member
- Boulder Community Hospital, Past Board Member
- Colorado Outward Bound School, Past Board Member
- City of Boulder, Past Council Member
Wayne is a graduate of the Stonier Graduate School of Banking and received his undergraduate degree in business from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has also done graduate study at Syracuse University and the University of Colorado.
Board Member & Audit Committee Member
James Vaughn has served on the AMG Board of Directors since 2005 and brings a wealth of experience to the AMG leadership team from his 32-year career with Deloitte & Touche in Denver and New York City.
He served as managing partner of Deloitte’s Denver office and the key client service partner for many of the firm’s most significant financial services clients in Colorado, including investment management, insurance, and banking companies. Prior to being appointed managing partner, James worked as the office’s lead technical partner for accounting and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting matters.
In addition to his AMG Board of Directors role, James serves as an Independent Director and Audit Committee member for Invesco mutual funds and previously served as an Independent Director for Oppenheimer mutual funds and Schroder mutual funds.
James has also given his time to numerous community organizations, including:
- University of South Dakota Foundation, Audit and Investment Committee Member
- Junior Achievement – Rocky Mountain Region, Board Member and Past Executive Committee Member
- Mile High United Way, Executive Committee Member
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Denver, Past Board Member
- Boy Scouts of America – Denver Area Council, Past Board Member
- Colorado Business Committee for the Arts, Past Board Member
James has completed Executive Management Programs at Northwestern University and Columbia University and received his undergraduate degree from the University of South Dakota.
Michael Wright joined AMG National Trust’s Board of Directors in 2015 and has been a board member of AMG National Corp, a financial holding company, since 2013.
Michael has over 25 years of experience successfully leading small businesses to growth and profitability. He’s currently CEO, President, and Founder of Second Frontiers LLC, an international real estate and property management company.
Prior to establishing Second Frontiers, Michael was CEO, President, and Founder of Global Link Technology, a privately held company specializing in the refurbishment, resale, and recycling of technology assets. The company was acquired by Arrow Electronics in 2012, and Michael helped ensure a smooth transition by working in the role of Director of Sales and participating in international mergers and acquisitions at Arrow.
Michael received his undergraduate degree in Economics from the University of Richmond.